Wednesday 11 February 2015

setting up your own bussiness

I decided to do a post on this as I am very interested in setting up my own production company with friends. This post will give a brief insight to making a company, but will outline my options in companies I could set up. I will also explore companies that were set up by a group of friends as this is what I want to do.





Although this a goal for the far future, planning ahead is a great way to start. Below are some articles and guides I have read on how to start up your own business that are very useful.





http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-1583963/A-guide-setting-business-starting-company.html


https://www.gov.uk/starting-up-a-business


http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/top-tips-for-setting-up-your-own-business/0012363/





With me I am very lucky to have creative and imaginative friends who do a lot of different things that could be the makings of a production company. We are all working on a short movie together called the DM (there is another blog post on this!). If we get good as a team I would be happy to start a kind of amateur business with them producing little movies.





Another option for me as a business choice is to set up my own makeup fx company, or a company that makes and sells prosthetic appliances. If you have a realistic idea of products or things you could sell, then setting up a business should be quite easy, but it may be hard work and quite expensive to start. But if the business is a success and you enjoy it, its all worth it.





Companies set up by friends:





Weta workshop is definitely the biggest name in production companies created by friends. I have done another post on this company because I think they are great, but here's a small summary of the company. Weta workshop started up in the back room of a flat in wellington by Richard and Tania who founded the company alongside peter Jackson. it is now one of the biggest effects and design company in the world.






BGFX company are also a company set up by a couple. I have done another blog post on them but basically they are a makeup and effects company based in London who have worked on harry potter and films like the worlds end.

No comments:

Post a Comment